So, I discovered lots of things today! So many things, that I should probably list them for ease of reading. (Plus, I feel like I’ve been more productive on my day off from my paythebills job when I see it in list form…especially since I have the Friends’ influenced urge to say “check!” after naming each point in the list, thus further emphasizing how truly productive I am). In no particular order of importance, relevance, or chronology here are Today’s Discoveries! (Exclamation points and Capitalization also imply things of Great Importance and Prominence.) (!)
1. I discovered that I find lots of Important Things to busy myself with in the mornings rather than write. On an unrelated note, Twitter is shiny.
2. I discovered that I can’t write dialogue worth crap—argh! [Excuse me, let me take the moment to write a positive affirmation: I write fantastic dialogue! The dialogue is natural, smooth, and sounds just like two people having a real conversation in my living room.] * eye roll *
3. I discovered a little extra protein in the form of a grub in my would-have-been spaghetti squash lunch. (You can imagine me throwing up a little in my mouth right…here. I also promptly threw it away right about…now.)
4. I discovered that 1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil, dried garlic and other seasonings can really jazz up regular spaghetti (the aforementioned seasonings were my original toppings for the spaghetti squash; not as healthy, but I was having spaghetti one way or another!)
5. I discovered that I CAN tell someone about my Work in Progress! I did it in email form, but it really helped me to sit down and think about it, and I’m so happy! That’s like, half a query letter right there, see productive, ha!
6. I discovered that I found a great method of plotting out my story that I can stick with …but I have way too much procrastinating to do before I sit back down and play with said story.
7. I discovered that it’s hard to write about the bleak and depressing parts of the novel when I’m too goofy to settle down and compose my own thoughts.
8. I discovered that even though I’m a really goofy, silly person who can laugh at anything, when I sit down to write, I have a weird librarian voice going on in my head. What’s up with that?
9. I discovered that coffee is such a joy and comfort to me in the mornings. I already knew that but it’s always worth mentioning things I’m grateful for. (Is it ludicrous that I automatically edited in my head: “…for which I’m grateful.” Really?)
10. I discovered that quite possibly the number one reason that I’m so distracted, and kinda goofy is the fact that I’m not listening to any music right now.
So, after getting myself another cup, I’ll flick on the Pandora Radio, and get back to The Novel!